Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 19: I Love To See the Temple

A Do Not Enter sign in the middle of the road - but for which side??
Monday, March 28, 2016

I love to see the temple. I’m going there [April fifth].
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I’ll prepare myself [every day];
This is my sacred duty.

So, next week, on April 5th, we are going to the Navuoo Temple! Because of that, Preparation Day will be moved to that day (the Tuesday) and I will write then rather than on the Monday. I am so glad I get to go because we can only go every 18 weeks in only some places in the mission field.

Anyway, this week was a weird week. 

We had some rude people we got involved with. It was sad, but funny! One guy was like, "Do you even have a permit? Get off my porch!" Didn't even answer our question if a former lived there... Lol. 

Another one was saying that he kept getting people and Mail about the formers who used to live there. He was pretty upset and was looking for a fight. It was hilarious, but the first time, on my mission, I heard someone swear like 20 times in a few sentences...  Yup. It's sad because the message we share is a good one and can raise the quality of people's lives and let them have more joy, but they don't even want it. Oh well.

The old apartment was finally finished with this week! The Zone Leaders cleared it out totally with one of the mission office people.

Also, we assembled some furniture. It was fun and reminded me of when I screwed in the big whiteboard at the apartment.

So Dino went to Georgia.. On the Tuesday, his mom was sick and we rescheduled to meet on Wednesday and an hour before we were going to teach him, we text him and he texts us back saying, "I'm out of town." Dino! Well, he is there till at least Thursday... 

We had a pretty cool funny story when we were going to a potential's house one day. We had the Lowes with us for the potential lesson, but the potential investigator wasn't there--or so her mom said... We go two apartments down to a potential we found another time by being there (we showed this one the Easter video right outside his apartment one time and he showed some interest) and some guy opened the door. Now, the potential investigator we showed the video to is called Tyler. The person who opened the door looked similar to Tyler, but I wasn't sure, but he did look familiar... So I didn't know what to say as I wasn't sure. Elder Casto just goes for it as if he is Tyler and we ask to come in and share a message with the Lowes. Turns out this person is Taylor and he was familiar to me because Elder Bennet and I had tracted into him a few weeks ago. Lol! But the probable reason he let us in is because Tyler told his roommates including Taylor about his experience with the Easter video! What!!! :) 

Anyway, we showed Taylor the Easter video, and a little after this other guy comes in. His name is Josh. He says, "So what did I miss?" Haha! So we show them both the Easter video (second time for Taylor) and teach the restoration. Josh is solid. We invite them to church and Josh says he will! Taylor is going to his mom's church for Easter, so he couldn't. The Lowes were brilliant, too, with their testimonies. 

The Messiah sing-along was played Friday night, but none of our investigators could or wanted to go. :( So, neither could we. :( 

So, last Preparation Day, after waiting for the Spanish Elders to pick us up after I got a haircut, a man walks up to us and says he is in the Normal ward! Well, we are the Normal missionaries. Turns out he is a less active and we stopped by him on Saturday, at least went inside his house.......

We go to his house at like 8:20 P.M. So it is dark outside and we notice the front door has a notice that says pretty much to ring the doorbell and come in through the the back door.... So we go to the back (I rung he doorbell at the front in case there is no doorbell at the back) and go through a sketchy garage and, then ring the doorbell at the back. Someone, sounds like a woman, shouts come in inside. So, I say, "let's go inside." We go inside because we have Tanner (a member who is leaving on his mission soon!) and, so, if there is only a woman inside, it is ok. Well, he says to come downstairs... So we go downstairs and there is a fat man watching some show in his whitey-tighties and shirt with shoes on... Anyway, he just starts telling us random facts about baseball that we don't even care about lol. Anyway, we ended up leaving a note for the less active member and I need to use the bathroom at this point. I ask him if I can use the nice bathroom upstairs.. He says that I can use his bathroom.... He has a nice toilet, the room, though... Very 1800s... Lol.

Oh... Wednesday, we were at a member's house with the Spanish elders right at the western border of the ward. Elder Casto and I went to meet a member after institute (which ends at about 8-8:15) so, we start going there and we text the person if she will still be there at about 8:30. She says that institute was cancelled, so we start going home, but elder Ashcraft is driving and the GPS was still going to the church. We nearly go to the church, but they change the GPS to go home. Well the GPS is silly and goes the long way. We are nearly home and the Spanish elders say they need to go to the church and prepare their baptismal program, so we start heading back to the church again... Well, it is about 8:30 now and Elder Ashcraft, being the Californian he is, rolls through a stop sign. There is another car I see about to stop at the same intersection and I am wondering in mind how sucky it would be if that was a cop car. Well, red and blue lights turn on. We got pulled over. Lol! My stomach drops! Luckily, Elder Ashcraft only gets a warning, but he did learn a lesson and he goes to full complete stops now. Lol, but it is 8:40 then and, so we have no time to go to the church and do things, and we head home. Lol!

So, guess who was at church on Sunday? Josh! Members greeted him and talked to him. We were late because we went and got another investigator for the Spanish elders who needs to be given to us sometime (as she is English speaking). We went with the Albrechtsens. So, we were so happy that Josh was settled in, when we arrived at church. He had a great time! Other members know him because he went to the high school there. He says he will come again in a few weeks. So, Josh actually lives in Monmouth and we will have to give him to the missionaries there, but his parents live in Bloomington and he is coming here in a few weeks, so then, he said he can come to church.

It was a great week with many more stories, but that is for another time! 

I know that Jesus Lives and that he rose from the dead. I know that he is our Savior and that he loves each and everyone one of us. He wants us to be happy and have Joy. Heavenly Father created a plan, that only works with Jesus at the center of it. I know that to be true. I know that Heavenly Father loves us very much too! I know that, true happiness only comes through following our Heavenly Father's plan because He loves us and wants that for us. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Sorry if things didn't make sense and about how long this blog is. I will type next week on Tuesday. Have a great week everyone.

Until next time,

Love,

Elder Kloosterboer

A LOT of rain
And a LOT MORE rain